Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Meanwhile, In Marion Illinois...

Getting your brain to function at 7am is a little more difficult than when you planned to wake up at that time the previous night. Physically and mentally drained, I collapsed and shut down early Monday night at a little after 9pm. I've had things slowly start up since I've woken and now, now I feel like I can put something down on paper.

As a city, I've always liked Marion. There's family to visit here, but, everything is different here than PB. I know that the handful of people that read this will be like "Inevitably, every place is the same" which I suppose is ultimately true, but, on the surface here it's not. We stopped at a Wal-Mart Monday night and I was surprised that they can look inviting and clean.

I should backtrack and emphasize just how opposite the Bluff's Wal-Mart looks. It was one of the first "supercenters" back in the 90's, but, the building has seen better days. Added to which, the uniform dress code doesn't apply to all, the floors look filthy, the bathroom's are not always clean, the store runs low if not out of certain items, and to make matters worse, there's always wooden pallets or carts in the middle of aisles unopened and impeding any flow of traffic. One time, you could pick and choose when to go to Wal-Mart for stuff (which was early morning) but now, it seems like regardless of the day you're doomed for a headache.

I said that to say how odd it was to have the exact opposite experience. From the checker who was actually smiling and courteous to floor help actually there to assist. It was like a parallel universe. Despite the over lighting of the building, the layout was condensed and organized. No pallets left in some random spot in an aisle. Even at the deli, there was prompt service. The deli at home is some inefficient, you have to take a number and listen to the employees discuss the finer gossip in the building as they slowly prepare your order.

That may be something else to note, and it's probably because I don't know anyone here, but the staff looked focused on their job. Pleasant and serene faces helping in different departments. Stepping in Wal-Mart at Poplar Bluff is much like stepping in to a multi storied soap opera with bad plots, dialogue, and no interest. There's a sense of soul crushing with the employees because employment in the Bluff is so horrid, you can't just up and leave the job without a backup job.

Maybe I'm making something bigger than I should. I don't know. It may be me looking at the city and it's businesses with rose colored glasses. I really don't want to return to Poplar Bluff. Physically there are a few things that keep me there, but, in the end it doesn't really matter. I get to return home in a few short hours. Return to my job that's been a disappointment for the better part of the year. Blah!

No comments:

Post a Comment