Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Flashback 1990- Grade A Ham

Once a year in the high school, there is a homecoming which all the classes participate. Not merely just the window decoration that would illustrate business windows down main street, but there were also float constructions and there were skits each class had to perform for an assembly for the entire town. One Tuesday night, three days before the homecoming game, each class from the freshman up to the senior class would perform a skit very pro cardinal against their opponent. All fun and no fuss. There wasn't a lot of thought put into much, except maybe the floats. I was assigned to go on this skit team with two other classmates who weren't exactly resonating team spirit much like myself. We sat one 45 minute period just halfheartedly throwing out ideas, but spent more time looking at the girls in the class and making comments as to who was hot.

A week passes and change locations to a church foyer my father pastored at the time. I and this other guy named Jesse were there working on an idea of time travel with the crude transportation device of a cardboard box or something else that had been liberally stolen from Calvin and Hobbes. We were deciding who was playing what, and there was this uneasy assurance we had things together to perform in front of a large crowd later that night. I agreed to meet Jesse there before the program began to make sure where to put the box, and to brush up on any lines that seemed a little iffy.

I arrived to the school gym early, partly for the skit prep, but also because I was playing trumpet in the marching band and we had to get there to set up for the small concert we played during the program. I waited around, fidgeted as the clock started to compress the start time of the assembly closer and closer, and I realized at the point 5 minutes or so before the programs start, my associate was going to be a no show. I had no box, no partner, and no skit. I sat up in the corner of the bleachers with another trumpet player, a fellow classmate. She naturally asks where Jesse is, to which I reply I didn't know. I was talking that I should forfeit the skit, and she replied that would be awful, as well as costly to the class, for non-participation was a fine to the class. It was shaping to be a lose/lose situation.

At the start of the year, I had been goofing around with this percussionist Jay doing voice impersonations. I had managed to make a credible impersonation of comedian Dana Carvey impersonating then President George Bush. Weird I know. I had quickly thought I should use that as the new skit for the class, because I wasn't about ready to be looked at for the impending fine by everyone else in class. I really tried to use this moment as that point where I would be like cool for the class, most popular and all that other stuff we saddle ourselves with in adolescence.

I sat over in the corner with the band. We performed a couple of numbers. The crowd was pretty sizeable, filling most of the floor and swelled into the bleachers opposite of the band placement. The skits began shortly after. I was second in line behind the freshman class. I stood off the side of the stage, behind the curtain pulled back, racking my brain for any one liners or good jokes to say in this impersonation. I wanted to make sure I mentioned the ball team as well as the upcoming game. The name of the sophomore class came out muffled over the p.a. and the curtains drew back, leaving me there in front of the spotlight, hundreds shifting and coughing in their seats.

To this day, I have no clue as to what I said. I know it was funny. Real funny in some parts. I was loose after the first minute, crowd getting loud when I mentioned about the game Friday. I was really starting to ham things up onstage, to point I was so comfortable, the stage manager had been making a cut sign for I don't know how long. I wound up my speech and the curtain drew shut on stage. There was an applause I had never heard of personally. I had seen ovations like this on TV or in the movies, but this was different. The crowd was loud and appreciative to the bit, and when I came out to cross over back into the band, the crowd was on their feet, and the spotlight was centered on me as I walked ever proud back to the top bleachers. Afterwards, everyone was really psyched thinking I had planned this all along, and then were surprised that all of the goofy impersonation had been improved.

Funny ending. There were awards given out the day of the game at a school assembly. The science teacher Mr Henson was naming off classes in 3rd to 1st order, and then when he had gotten to the skit competition, he announced as first the sophomore class, "To his credit", or words to the effect singling me out personally. That was indeed a rich moment, sitting there as the savior of a contest for a class who really weren't all that accepting of me at first. In hindsight, things began to work out better amongst myself and my classmates after the whole skit episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment