Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fall 1989- The Importance Of Speaking

 There was one class I attended in the year of 1989 that was a very new experience to me. It as an Agriculture class, since this was a rural farming community, it was a required course at least one year and an elective for the remainder. The hallway walls were covered in trophy cases that stretched to the end of the corridor. While sports seemed to be a thing for folks to be passionate about, they really seemed to have a better percentage in winning titles in things like poultry judging, Ag mechanics, or soils.

My teacher was named Mr Schaufler. I had never met a cooler guy than this man in my relative young age. He seemed to be a preminent authority in all things mechanic and farming. He was very laid back to an extent. He would take these new freshman, and for the first quarter or so, we would go through the individual fields that were under the FFA banner. We would spend days sampling cheeses, for example, and there were some that could taste the differences in Cheddars by the very definition they memorized. It was very new and alien to me because though I hadn't been living in a teaming metropolis before this move, we certainly didn't have a lot of farming issues discussed in public restaurants, and it was absent from any family conversation.

Mr Schaufler had a keen eye for talent in certain fields. In one week, we went through a five paragraph statement that was the FFA creed. It was an outline of the groups goals and beliefs. I had an easier time retaining memory back then, so I was able to memorize this five paragraph creed and recite it in front of everyone. It was good enough for me to get enlisted into a district contest, where our chapter would send delegates for different contests to compete with other schools. If you placed first, you were an automatic bid to the state's final on the U of M campus. If you had gotten first there, it went to the national convention in Kansas City. The creed only leveled out on the state plateau, but I wasn't having visions of grandeur. I was concentrating for weeks before our contest, not on having all the words memorized, but little things Mr Schaufler had pointed out. Certain words in sentences needed some emphasis. You needed to have a passion in what you said, sell it like you truly mean it. It was meant to be inspiring for those that listened to it. The most important bit of advice was to study this creed, because there would be questions asked after you recite it. It's one thing to recite anything verbatim, but then to answer questions on said item can be daunting, particularly if you are unsure of the answer, or the context it was given.

We ended going out to some school I forgot where, maybe in nearby Austin for the days events. I waited patiently for my turn, as others had gone in every direction for their particular contests. Mr Schaufler assured me he thought I was going to do just fine, as long as I kept my head and my nerves in check. I went into a small speaking hall, where there were 3 judges sat at a long table. I walked up to the podium... and began talking. I was powerful where I needed, and subtle where it didn't look over dramatic. After wrapping up the creed, I stood awaiting a barrage of questions, for which I received a few, but they were simpler than I thought they would be, and I answered them as thorough as possible, trying to maintain this overall look I was just some simple kid from a farm in Mower county, instead of a transplant bumpkin from Butler county in S.E. Missouri.

The wait leading to the afternoon awards ceremony was arduous, and when you do something you are proud of, but you aren't entirely sold you have the contest won, your nerves start to work themselves over for a while. By the time we had gotten to this auditorium for awards, I was a borderline wreck, despite the assurances from Mr Schaufler as well as other kids that were in my class. The speaker had gotten to the creed contest, listing from 3rd on up to 1st, my heart racing a bit faster with a name that wasn't mine as 3rd, as 2nd. Panic for one brief moment when I realize the very good possibility that I haven't placed at all. I was a failure in public speaking.

And then for 1st, my name and school announced. I was in shock to say the least. I had really no confidence in myself, in talking to others, I thought I was going to be a lost cause, or shot in the dark at the very least. I was taken back at how things went, how easy it truly was for me to get up in front of complete strangers and just talk about the future of farming. I think to this day that my adviser Mr Schaufler had seen this potential in me for this one particular contest. He saw a good placement, if not 1st. He had been the adviser for the school for years, so he knew about winning and how to achieve it, simply because those trophies and plaques lining the halls to his room were won under his advisement. I ended up getting a ribbon which I thought was the coolest thing, because outside of writing short stories to entertain myself, I really didn't know of anything I was any good at. I began to find these things though as a student under Mr Schaufler's guidance. For that, I will be eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment